Hermana Greenhalgh

Hermana Greenhalgh

Thursday, June 5, 2014

First Week in Arizona: Casa Grande - Letter 05/26/14

Hello Family!
 How is everyone doing? I hope you all are having an excellent Memorial Day. I've been assigned to serve in the Casa Grande area. It's a great area and we teach a ton! I have two companions! So I'm in a trio! I love it. Their names are Sister Jacobsen from Utah and Sister Ramono from Blackfoot, Idaho! There Spanish is really good, and they are very kind. We live in the Colony apartments they are really nice especially for the area we are in. There is also two other girls who live in our apartment they are English speaking though so it is fun to have a variety. 
So I had my first baptism on Saturday! His name is Noe. It was a neat experience, and we had 3 of our investigators come and they loved it. I asked 3 more people to be baptized and 2 accepted so we are continuing to teach them and get them ready for baptism. Along with investigators it has been hard for me because of the language barrier. Most of my investigators speak no English. I've felt very alone because everyone around me is Hispanic. They like to tease me and call me "Hermoso Blanco" or Beautiful White. Most of them make fun of me because I can't speak very well so it has been difficult pero I'm keeping my head up. 
One of my favorite quotes that has helped me through the last week is "Remember, the Lord has called you to succeed, not to fail. Sometimes it may seem terribly hard, but He wants you to grow. He will not abandon you. He inspired your call. He knows who you are. He knows what you need. He knows what He wants you to become, and this mission experience is an opportunity He has given you to discover things about yourself you never knew; capacities you never knew you had, strength beyond what you felt you had, and the capacity to love and serve which will sustain you throughout the rest of your life. Remember, you have been called and He will fit the task to your capabilities..." - Richard G. Scott.
     
There is a parable that has also been a big help to me this week about a little bird. There once was a little bird who lived in a big forest with many different animals. One day the forest started on fire, and many animals fled from it. The little bird began to get water and tried to stop the raging fire. Many of the other animals mocked the little bird and told him he was silly for thinking he could stop the fire. The little bird turned and said to the other animals "At least I can say I did my part." 
That story has made me realize that no matter how bad my Spanish is or how far my teaching skills are from being perfect, I am doing my part. We all have parts in this world that we must do. Everyone is contributing in some way. 
In other news my Facebook should be up and running for proselyting purposes by Wednesday hopefully. I have to remove and hide anything that is not about missionary life. You can still tag me in pictures from my mission but my name cannot be tagged to my blog for security purposes. So please keep my blog going but don't link it to my profile. 
So feel free to write my letters, please! I promise I will write you back!

I hope everyone has a great week! Love you all. Remember who you are!
Love,
Hermana Greenhalgh



 This is when I arrived in Arizona and stayed with the Hoopes Family they hosted us my first night

 Noe's Baptism

No comments:

Post a Comment